The quickest way to get hold of AlsaPlayer is in its source form. You can obtain it either from sourceforge or any other reliable source. Following are the different files that are available for download:
The AlsaPlayer source
The MIDI input plugin
The Python bindings source
The FFTscope visualization plugin
All the packages can be downloaded separately as well as collectively at sourceforge.
For installation of AlsaPlayer on Gentoo – All you need to do is simply run “emerge alsaplayer”. As an alternative you can install the Pro-Audio Gentoo Overlay wherein you can locate the live ebuilds meant for the GIT repository.
Following are details of various binary packages:
- In Zenwalk: The AlsaPlayer can be found inside the extra repository. So, you’ll need to run ‘netpkg alsaplayer’.
- Slackware-current: The Zenwalk’s package is compatible. You should download it and run the ‘installpkg alsaplayer-…..tgz’ and you’re done.
- Debian: Simply run ‘alsaplayer_package’
- For Suse, Mandrake and others, you can find them on rpmfind.
Precautions everyone should take while downloading free software from the internet
Although this isn’t applicable to AlsaPlayer as it’s a highly reliable software available only at reputed websites, it makes good sense to be cautious while downloading any free software from the Internet.
- First and foremost, you must stick only with reputable sites. There are thousands of websites offering free downloads, but only a few fall in the reputable category.
- Secondly, never download any illegal or cracked versions of software. Although it may seem appealing to save money, you may actually be inviting viruses, worms, malware, Trojans, spyware and other harmful programs into your system.
- Always refer to the user feedback as previous users are the best people to tell you about the true worth of the software.
- Always use some firewall so it can prevent any malicious communication between the downloaded software and its creator.
- Last but not the least, ensure that you have a good antivirus software installed on your system.